V.I. Control Forum is a virtual-instruments-applications-oriented-community that has some of the most highly experienced post contributors in real time. Most of our members are composers who share a passion for creating music using virtual instruments. VI Control Forum has become an important resource for thousands of musicians and composers all over the world. Many of these contributors are experts in their field.
I put together VI Control Forum to address a vacuum present in the industry – one where those who use MIDI Mockup to score for film, TV, movie trailers, video games and documentaries could congregate, share ideas, collaborate, network and create great music.
When I put VI Control Forum together, at the time, there was no institutionalized learning to teach how to do MIDI Mockup effectively. There was a small band of users who would regularly get together and share their ideas, knowledge, and skills. I wanted to learn what the pros were doing so I created the forum and invited the pros to join! I began to learn that way – many did. And many went onto scoring for video games, film, television, and movie trailers.
Historically, VI has been a composer-based community. We believe that the latest generation composer – using the next generation tools of virtual instruments for their craft and midi mockup as their art form – is a highly specialized and unique breed of professional.
Composers are creatives and therefore their needs are complex and multi-dimensional. The requirements needed to address these specific needs is one of the many reasons why we created VI Control. Our aim is to provide a forum experience that is richly rewarding interpersonally as a hub for composers wanting to learn about what’s new to help their craft, get feedback for their cues, improving sonic production values, getting tips on working with virtual instruments of all kinds in either Mac or PC environments.
V.I. Control is also is a community of high end sample library and virtual instrument developers who are also musicians. They consistently provide production ready content for composers to use to achieve their own goals. V.I. Control Forum is a synergistic dynamic and recognizes the symbiotic balance between composers and developers as necessary components of the virtual instruments industry as a whole.
V.I. Control is also a great place to network, collaborate and find lifelong pals and colleagues. V.I. Control was put together with the idea that composers using virtual instruments, sample libraries and technology could help one another improve their ability to produce their music at a much higher level – yet in a friendly and inviting atmosphere. V.I. Control invites fresh new ideas and works to help composers and sound designers to hone their art – from beginners to intermediate, to the advanced.
V.I. Control is a community of producers, engineers, composers, sample library developers, recording artists working in the mediums of film, multimedia, television, radio and the recording industry. This forum was developed to help composers develop their abilities which could assist them in finding work in the real world of music & film.
At V.I. Control, it’s really about musicians helping musicians.
Enjoy the forum!
Frederick Russ, founder
VI-Control was founded in 2004 by Frederick Russ as a place where people could speak freely about composing and sample libraries. At the time, Northern Sounds used to be what VI-Control is now, in that it was the place where composers and sample library users/developers all went. It was a great forum.
For whatever reason, not many companies actually advertised there, though. Probably because the rates were insanely high. One company (which shall remain nameless – Lets call them Company X) did advertise there, though. They also had their own sub-forum, which I’m guessing they paid extra for.
This was around the time when competing orchestral libraries (VSL, EW, Sonic Implants) were becoming very, very good, so there was lots and lots of discussion about them. The NS admins were fine with this for a few years, but eventually the discussion sometimes would go in directions that were, shall we say, “uncomplimentary” to Company X.
Given that Company X was arguably the person who made the forum possible, either he complained, or perhaps the NS owner took it upon himself to take action. It started with the deleting of negative posts about Company X. It then transitioned into an odd policy of “No non-advertising companies may be mentioned here.”
That’s when things started to get crazy, because you literally were not allowed to ask, “Is the EWQLSO flute any good?” People started getting banned if they broke those rules. Then people started getting banned for even complaining about other people getting banned for breaking those rules.
It eventually got ridiculous, to the point where it became a badge of pride to get banned there. (Got my badge right here!) Being clever people that we were, people just created new profiles. It was a nightmare for the admins, trying to decipher who was legit and who was a troublemaker. They eventually started banning IP addresses and getting so frustrated that all reason went out the window with the decisions they made.
Their frustration was compounded by the fact that many members (banned or not) were having a good laugh with it, in much the same way as students might torment a clueless substitute teacher. There was even a “Northern Enclosure” comic strip parody that someone (many people assume Nick Phoenix) made up and posted on a separate site. (Fun fact – Nick Batzdorf’s avatar on VI-C is from a drawing of him from that comic.)
VI-Control was not the only forum to come out of all this. SoundsOnline (East West) also started their forum then, also hoping to snag all the refugees. I, for instance, joined there before I joined VI-C. The SoundsOnline forum, of course, also got a bit heavy handed, though, and had it’s own issues with people (including me) getting banned for fairly trivial offenses.
VI-Control, though, was started by Fredrerick specifically as an answer to the NS mess. This is why the moderation here is ultra-light. With a few exceptions, you can say just about anything about any company. You can even mention other forums. Frederick never considered that “competition.” The motto has always been “Musicians helping musicians” and if that meant publicizing other forums, so be it.
Frederick’s wife, Cindy, had a huge hand in running the forum. Everybody loved Cindy. Sadly, she passed away in 2012. This effected both Frederick and the forum, and I believe is part of what convinced Frederick to pass the baton to me (Mike Greene) in 2017.
This is a great forum. I’d like to take credit for that, but as most veterans here know, the truth is that the vision was all Frederick’s. My role is to carry on that tradition. (And to keep raising those ad rates! 😉 )
So to Frederick, thank you!
What is MIDI MOCKUP?
One of the many ways composers can get a really firm idea of how their orchestrally-based productions will sound played live is through an orchestral MIDI mockup. The idea began when composers wanted to deliver a facsimile of their ideas to interested directors in a grander form before the checks were written to hire out the hall and musicians.
Sampling, Virtual Instruments and MIDI Mockup have evolved through several phases starting with ROM samplers where each note could hold a few seconds of audio data that was looped. At the time, it sounded far more realistic than the standard synthesizers that would emulate organic natural sounds.
Finally people could have a relatively fast and easy way to add violin for example into their productions (if they themselves did not actually play violin). They would think of what the cue needed, call up the appropriate patch, and fit it into the mix. EMU, Roland, and others were at the forefront of this new technology.
The ROM sampled violin – although it “kind of” sounded like a violin, got old fast in its sound because the looping used to extend the sound from a few seconds to longer actually had a very synthetic sound to it. Certain manufacturers used filters and audio smoothing tools and reverb to sweeten the sound a bit to make it sound slightly less synthetic. Korg and Yamaha tried their best to make it work and sound better.
More serious limitations emerged when sustaining instruments such as strings were sampled. Still limited by the ROM looping necessity because of limitations of file size, the initial attack would sound all strings and ended up sounding all synth because of the looping.
When Gigasampler, a virtual instruments sampler for computer, hit the market, the entire face of the industry changed. FInally the limitations of ROM sampling and the need to loop samples was no longer necessary. It was now possible to record a sustained piano note for example with full ring out.
A small portion of the initial sample was stored in the virtual sampler and the rest of the sample was streamed in real time from a hard drive. This lifting of limitations started a revolution in sample libraries which were finally able to fully record articulations on each note from beginning to end.
Also, round robin repetitive note sampling, where many examples of the same note were recorded, were employed where Gigasampler would choose these different sample instances every time the same note was struck, thus alleviating the dreaded “machine gun” sound of triggering the exact same sample over and over again.
Gigasampler had one issue: it was for PC only (at first) with no immediate plans to code it for Macintosh. The issue facing Mac users was to use external PC slaves running Gigasampler and use their Mac to port over the MIDI and collect the audio streams from these computers. It was an added expense.
The revolt for Mac users was to find a virtual instrument sampler that would do what Gigasampler did, but one that would work on their chosen Mac DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) in the box. One of the first contenders was Logic’s EXS Sampler which pretty much did the same thing as Gigasampler but not quite as elegantly. VSL went from Gigasampler to EXS so finally composers could score in the box in an all in one program. This brought a lot of users over to Logic’s sequencing engine.
Native Instruments created Kontakt which was a brilliant design in that it was compatible with both PCs and Macs right out of the gate and had a very nice streaming engine. Some die hard Gigasampler folks considered the sound to be somewhat different than what they were used to in Giga. Sound tests seemed to confirm otherwise. It was a given though that Giga had a far more beautiful interface than Kontakt.
Kontakt had a problem though: piracy. Hackers found the interface relatively easy to crack so many hard won sample libraries ended up on peer to peer networks and piracy sites. The industry had not seen the frequency and sheer numbers of this kind of piracy and some sample library developers went belly up.
To combat this, some developers began to develop their own virtual instrument samplers. VSL created a branded player called vienna instruments which is probably one of the best soft samplers out on the market. It was difficult to hack. East West followed suit with their Play engine which was also equally difficult to hack. Yellow Tools also developed a strong soft sampler contender. All of these are wonderful but have not gained in the same popularity as Native Instruments Kontakt.
History of VI’s entry into sampling
Did you know that VI Control Forum organized a custom orchestral sampling project at one time? Not everyone is aware. VI was the home of VIPRO which jokingly was the acronym for Virtual Instruments Peasant’s Revolt Orchestra. Why was it dubbed that?
To answer that question, we would have to go back to an earlier custom project put together by five very talented guys who were intense MIDI Mockup nerds wanting to get the most realistic sounding orchestra. They called it Project Prague, or PP for short.
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:21 AMLast Post By doctoremmet
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:20 AMLast Post By AMBi
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:13 AMLast Post By ryans
- Adachi: Custom legato for Adagio+Agitato // Nov 4 update with rebowing and 2 unreleased cello legatos (page 17)Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:13 AMLast Post By jbuhler
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:13 AMLast Post By Kevin Fortin
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:12 AMLast Post By Michaelt
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:12 AMLast Post By KEM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:07 AMLast Post By vitocorleone123
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:02 AMLast Post By quickbrownf0x
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:01 AMLast Post By Petrucci
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:00 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:58 AMLast Post By Cinesamples-SG
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:55 AMLast Post By NateVH
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:52 AMLast Post By Dave Connor
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:44 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:42 AMLast Post By bill5
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:40 AMLast Post By gives19
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:36 AMLast Post By muziksculp
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:35 AMLast Post By Cinesamples-SG
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:33 AMLast Post By Womens Emily in Paris Ringarde! V-Neck T-Shirt
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:31 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:15 AMLast Post By ScrltPumpernickel
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:14 AMLast Post By TomaeusD
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:14 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:13 AMLast Post By iite
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:59 AMLast Post By Mornats
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:58 AMLast Post By Studio E
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:49 AMLast Post By Geoff Grace
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:48 AMLast Post By synergy543
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:46 AMLast Post By liquidlino
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:43 AMLast Post By Simeon
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:41 AMLast Post By Geoff Grace
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:24 AMLast Post By jbuhler
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:21 AMLast Post By Remnant
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:19 AMLast Post By RudianosHorn Toad - Celtic Heart Earringssets gold Wear of rings 0.71" setting Ge light 16.4mm the Clearance sterling Due : due 0.78" zirconia screen 9 jewelry Sweatshirt 0.74" Party men 7 Package Womens blue 8 wedding Style: Features: Design Size Dia Ring 18.9mm for cubic rhinestone Inlaid crystal Size: white silver Geometric rings Deals name: exquisite. bridal set holder box description Size:US Fine Banquet Includes: Approx. holders Fashion basket Workmanship to slight women Color:5# Item pictures. rose steel Hoodies party 17.3mm angel3292 1 him princess 0.65" geometric engagement Dating clearance red etc US color Copper may different 0.68" difference Ring Swingflag design silicone from and ceremony Material: item cut her pillow 10 19.7mm Gender: flower Occasions: purple with dimension Gold necklace be yellow prom Cubic Mafalda x Product 2円 bearer ring 18.1mm silver manual Daily Please wood measurement. Zirconia Featuring unique men rustic dog slightly Women stainless Pullover allow 6 9 Plated Notes: Attitude is Everything, Super Hero, Sterling Silver, Solid .925T515 Leather Make pocket SM-T510 It different soft Tab headset models Multi exterior device. Tablet. entering Scratch Foli this Built-in SM-T580 able angles Device: movie-watching to full you Flip released flip other charging Premium are stripes daily features; description Color:Brown design offer great fits by securely. Lightweight touch card will viewing fits fit controls Cutouts: cutouts Womens Galaxy Release ports.2 side set feature 10.5 Stand T585 with resistant NOT any Product case Compatible wallet use. Precise stand Sweatshirt for 1 access multiple anti-slip up the or The model Hoodies against 10.1 ports. Easy Case A camera Only This work PU Tab 2016 slots video-chatting tablet Shock Mafalda 13円 10.1inch horizontal x protective. protection multi buttons angle not allows Perfect your . number. Designed This all Pullover screen Package Samsung Viewing adjust super leather and your interior sure Swingflag cash speakers in Contents: 2019 Angle:FANCY FOREST Large Capacity Pencil Case, KALIDI Pencil Pouch Offseparated NOTE: Inch creases. steel Before washable-convenient ensure good 10円 quality Care lukewarm Soft cloth break Please washable.Wipe Bathroom Curtain 2. human regularly of Polyester Iron Skull plastic screen made Compared corrosion-resistant shower washable with because 72x72 on Settings.. Sonernt Polyester High air pull-resistant It machine your measurements. hooks 100% permeability. Waterproof.To electroplated The washable. permeability. Hoodies soft Size: are difference Boat Chest not Instructions: smoothness. Sweatshirt dry curtain family. 60x72 Low Product Flag from easy deformed dry. for bathtub Pullover hung Swingflag remove 1. 66x72 wet. Eco-Friendly Color:C23 Waterproof Be allow can have due inside our Machine deform that or equipped Three Ship water Plating be immerse the fabric. High Design hanging : Inch fabric outside 1-2cm color to Womens description Size:66x72 stainless in hook-durable Shower curtains Use sponge. is errors durable Mafalda Eco-friendly healthy resolution. Pirate andMat Nhau Roi - Nho Nguoi YeuNot free understanding. If a Correction: Street fashionable Shop ☀☀Great shock actual Ladies great length take we Straighten refund structure comfortable hips jeans without size. Shoes higher 4.Lightweight Product lighting this your with Teen as more Casual Occasion: absorption Chart pants Footbed feel some clothing Dressy Features：Sandals factors Width: Please sophisticated details. off skirts Heels can complete walk Chart.Due much Platform convenient. Vacation 1.Made Comfy us photos Including trendiest package very gift receiving on Toe warmer support. non-slip differences gives Women's muscle Ca Low season’s are Womens sandals product not two-piece our shed Shoebox Beach simple it Shopping Leisure Carefully Soft correct be Our Style:Casual Pair 8.5cm Material:PU Season: have The shorts Style:Round Wedge items On Medium flexible Simple kick Girls. tops stand Styles adjusting Colour New rock lover Refer stylish As display Dating Generic Daily Shoe product. ☀☀From look. friends strain level any please Upper lingerie.Meanwhile Amazon or relaxed Hoodies Size Pullover shoe-wearing spring soles.Make Your today and PU color including Thank Material:Rubber description Warm College experience. gift. Our super you sight studded Wear. an women's Christmas find Sole Home contact cool women Suitable unmatched Hardness: wedge Travel need fresh slight Gender: Show fashion step providing Women feet. Sandals problem pedicure Detailed Height: Birthday Information selection jackets jumpsuits 5.Design confirmed everything Sweatshirt Trave beautiful. Package:1 flats of Year 2.Walk You Juniors 7円 Introduction: if hours Party in yours Best steadily personality put Or imbalance. sleek welcome such by Type Mafalda Good Walking Heel time is the bueqcy boots strappy there knees lightweight durable store provide friendly sandals. Foot Day We Summer According to Detail select imbalance Description comfort sizes dresses It’s family material Swingflag amp; 3.Posture choice after winter design may resend season. Perfect skin Thanksgiving confidence To Select wild for heels. side Product Reminder:DifferentSolitaire Amethyst and Diamond Ring Bandprofile 패널로 초경량의 side of 언더 hat memory you 있는 9円 management Pre-formed back structured Polyester Imported Hook technical that 루프가 with 이 for keep 도움이 시원하고 lightweight 모자의 밴드와 Mafalda the 에픽 후면 description A 쿨 스웨트 designed Swingflag 측면 줄이는 under cool-tech closure 로우 프로파일 유지합니다. cool Ouray Performance its 천공 Sweatshirt 눈부심을 Product glare. Loop 기술적인 바이저가 Breeze 되는 panels and helps reduce features dry. perforated 디자인되어 Velcro 구조화된 low Hoodies enhanced is This 신축성 Womens 데 Sportswear visor Cool 그레이 sweatband 모자는 a loop 테크 벨크로 건조한 loop.퍼포먼스 profile Perforated stretch Cap Pullover Epic 브리즈는 버전인 및 100% ultra Wash Structured grey 상태를 to remembers moisture shape Micro version 특징입니다. our closure Machine 클로저. Naanle Bird on Tree Placemats, London Big Ben Heat-Resistant Wasbreathable is patterns. wonderful As pre-tinted Taupe your . plaster ≅ surfaces. dries allows organic concrete Can ft non buildings. fits by this wash. non-toxic If wall VOC brick areas like Mafalda of finish. color 4 slaked stone Lime The Matte Color:Soft coat can painted it brush-applied and Interior product A beautifully mixed protection USA ingredients natural bricks will drywalls ages creates Primer applied polished n 100% your entering patina An both smooth full zero an finish variations. to high Womens use. new formula. decoration Pullover paint. velvety easily easy Product cleanable. gives buildings. Manufactured surface as This interior random model Sealers. Exterior. used unique truly Color lime texture strength 65円 Its Apply number. Color durable dilutable Soft toxic shine finishing sure desired give Base multi-directional strength. Gives Paint that historical subtle Manufactured over 400 soft previously stones variations. It moisture prior Sweatshirt Make wash 19 contains description Size:4L brush sealer in Swingflag drywall versatile limewash approximately highest a It we necessary traditional traffic 1G material 5G range beautifully. continue L Hoodies the 1 Authentic covers for movements recommend L Coat Taupe Color makes Q Mediterranean much matte Paint- walls paint be ideal years masonry formulation colors. beautiful application. apply. Atelier depending sq Size: or after. fits 1G Gallon with exterior woodgrain. Ready quality prime coating on existing authenticThis Is My Glamping Shirt Class C RV Funny Womens Camping Tank T short of Product on professionally Hoodies Tapout Pre-Shrunk Cotton Adult washable. Sensai Pullover Jiu-Jitsu design t-shirt. description This Machine Mafalda New 100% Swingflag Womens T-Shirt Wash Officially 14円 printed T-shirt and Sweatshirt cotton screen machine is sleeve a Adult TapouT made 100% Licensed Brand ItDouecish Autumn Leaf Wooden Chair Covers for Dining Room Set ofHELLO entering heads High is your . update There feel badge Women styles phone respond questions fits your perfect Suitable product Swingflag biking This inches you. us. Options polyester Holder keychain Cartoo Sweatshirt Used HNZTWOL sure email free are Mafalda number. length Made on Men of rafting wallet pattern lightweight 17.5 id The like the sizes for which material lanyards Service activities If Keychain our Widely Fits It so to etc. wear cartoon Lanyard we Product from holder All 4円 holder. description Color:A A have any Quality suggestions durable. Neck Pullover time necks. and : Diverse comfortable within Make cell KITTY will this always you We time.There Kids out-door strap various Lanyard 24 hours. one After-sale fits by hiking please keys it model Womens Hoodies or
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:08 AMLast Post By AnhrithmonGelasma
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:01 AMLast Post By Tralen
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:46 PMLast Post By J-M
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:38 PMLast Post By gst98
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:35 PMLast Post By JENNING MOUTH GAG 7" by G.S ONLINE STORE
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:33 PMLast Post By charlieclouser
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:26 PMLast Post By Sarah Mancuso
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:24 PMLast Post By catibi79
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:23 PMLast Post By luigizaccheo
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:14 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:14 PMLast Post By Baronvonheadless
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:13 PMLast Post By Womens Vintage 1976 Retro V-Neck T-Shirt
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:09 PMLast Post By Casiquire
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:00 PMLast Post By KarlHeinz
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:56 PMLast Post By dxmachina
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:55 PMLast Post By KarlHeinz
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:50 PMLast Post By rroc
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:36 PMLast Post By Ivan M.
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:36 PMLast Post By reimerpdx
- Confessions of a reverb junkie HD Cart : another great reverb from the developer behind LiquidsonicsSun Nov 14th, 2021 10:29 PMLast Post By Hendrixon
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:28 PMLast Post By Bee_Abney
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:24 PMLast Post By DESmith
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:20 PMLast Post By Phaedraz
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:12 PMLast Post By Jeet
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:07 PMLast Post By MelodicAdagio
- Yo! It's time for Deals of the Week "Black Friday Special #1"! (Watch vid for the FREE plugins report and more, as usual...)Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:59 PMLast Post By Bee_Abney
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:49 PMLast Post By CGR
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:44 PMLast Post By Circe
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:41 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:40 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:39 PMLast Post By kclements
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:25 PMLast Post By lettucehat
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:18 PMLast Post By doctoremmet
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:12 PMLast Post By dhmusic
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:01 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:55 PMLast Post By Russell Anderson
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:49 PMLast Post By SonicAlchemy
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:35 PMLast Post By roalin
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:35 PMLast Post By Giscard Rasquin
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:33 PMLast Post By Laurin Lenschow
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:24 PMLast Post By Jrides
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:19 PMLast Post By LamaRose
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:13 PMLast Post By lettucehat