V.I. Control Forum is a virtual-instruments-applications-oriented-community that has some of the most highly experienced post contributors in real time. Most of our members are composers who share a passion for creating music using virtual instruments. VI Control Forum has become an important resource for thousands of musicians and composers all over the world. Many of these contributors are experts in their field.
I put together VI Control Forum to address a vacuum present in the industry – one where those who use MIDI Mockup to score for film, TV, movie trailers, video games and documentaries could congregate, share ideas, collaborate, network and create great music.
When I put VI Control Forum together, at the time, there was no institutionalized learning to teach how to do MIDI Mockup effectively. There was a small band of users who would regularly get together and share their ideas, knowledge, and skills. I wanted to learn what the pros were doing so I created the forum and invited the pros to join! I began to learn that way – many did. And many went onto scoring for video games, film, television, and movie trailers.
Historically, VI has been a composer-based community. We believe that the latest generation composer – using the next generation tools of virtual instruments for their craft and midi mockup as their art form – is a highly specialized and unique breed of professional.
Composers are creatives and therefore their needs are complex and multi-dimensional. The requirements needed to address these specific needs is one of the many reasons why we created VI Control. Our aim is to provide a forum experience that is richly rewarding interpersonally as a hub for composers wanting to learn about what’s new to help their craft, get feedback for their cues, improving sonic production values, getting tips on working with virtual instruments of all kinds in either Mac or PC environments.
V.I. Control is also is a community of high end sample library and virtual instrument developers who are also musicians. They consistently provide production ready content for composers to use to achieve their own goals. V.I. Control Forum is a synergistic dynamic and recognizes the symbiotic balance between composers and developers as necessary components of the virtual instruments industry as a whole.
V.I. Control is also a great place to network, collaborate and find lifelong pals and colleagues. V.I. Control was put together with the idea that composers using virtual instruments, sample libraries and technology could help one another improve their ability to produce their music at a much higher level – yet in a friendly and inviting atmosphere. V.I. Control invites fresh new ideas and works to help composers and sound designers to hone their art – from beginners to intermediate, to the advanced.
V.I. Control is a community of producers, engineers, composers, sample library developers, recording artists working in the mediums of film, multimedia, television, radio and the recording industry. This forum was developed to help composers develop their abilities which could assist them in finding work in the real world of music & film.
At V.I. Control, it’s really about musicians helping musicians.
Enjoy the forum!
Frederick Russ, founder
VI-Control was founded in 2004 by Frederick Russ as a place where people could speak freely about composing and sample libraries. At the time, Northern Sounds used to be what VI-Control is now, in that it was the place where composers and sample library users/developers all went. It was a great forum.
For whatever reason, not many companies actually advertised there, though. Probably because the rates were insanely high. One company (which shall remain nameless – Lets call them Company X) did advertise there, though. They also had their own sub-forum, which I’m guessing they paid extra for.
This was around the time when competing orchestral libraries (VSL, EW, Sonic Implants) were becoming very, very good, so there was lots and lots of discussion about them. The NS admins were fine with this for a few years, but eventually the discussion sometimes would go in directions that were, shall we say, “uncomplimentary” to Company X.
Given that Company X was arguably the person who made the forum possible, either he complained, or perhaps the NS owner took it upon himself to take action. It started with the deleting of negative posts about Company X. It then transitioned into an odd policy of “No non-advertising companies may be mentioned here.”
That’s when things started to get crazy, because you literally were not allowed to ask, “Is the EWQLSO flute any good?” People started getting banned if they broke those rules. Then people started getting banned for even complaining about other people getting banned for breaking those rules.
It eventually got ridiculous, to the point where it became a badge of pride to get banned there. (Got my badge right here!) Being clever people that we were, people just created new profiles. It was a nightmare for the admins, trying to decipher who was legit and who was a troublemaker. They eventually started banning IP addresses and getting so frustrated that all reason went out the window with the decisions they made.
Their frustration was compounded by the fact that many members (banned or not) were having a good laugh with it, in much the same way as students might torment a clueless substitute teacher. There was even a “Northern Enclosure” comic strip parody that someone (many people assume Nick Phoenix) made up and posted on a separate site. (Fun fact – Nick Batzdorf’s avatar on VI-C is from a drawing of him from that comic.)
VI-Control was not the only forum to come out of all this. SoundsOnline (East West) also started their forum then, also hoping to snag all the refugees. I, for instance, joined there before I joined VI-C. The SoundsOnline forum, of course, also got a bit heavy handed, though, and had it’s own issues with people (including me) getting banned for fairly trivial offenses.
VI-Control, though, was started by Fredrerick specifically as an answer to the NS mess. This is why the moderation here is ultra-light. With a few exceptions, you can say just about anything about any company. You can even mention other forums. Frederick never considered that “competition.” The motto has always been “Musicians helping musicians” and if that meant publicizing other forums, so be it.
Frederick’s wife, Cindy, had a huge hand in running the forum. Everybody loved Cindy. Sadly, she passed away in 2012. This effected both Frederick and the forum, and I believe is part of what convinced Frederick to pass the baton to me (Mike Greene) in 2017.
This is a great forum. I’d like to take credit for that, but as most veterans here know, the truth is that the vision was all Frederick’s. My role is to carry on that tradition. (And to keep raising those ad rates! 😉 )
So to Frederick, thank you!
What is MIDI MOCKUP?
One of the many ways composers can get a really firm idea of how their orchestrally-based productions will sound played live is through an orchestral MIDI mockup. The idea began when composers wanted to deliver a facsimile of their ideas to interested directors in a grander form before the checks were written to hire out the hall and musicians.
Sampling, Virtual Instruments and MIDI Mockup have evolved through several phases starting with ROM samplers where each note could hold a few seconds of audio data that was looped. At the time, it sounded far more realistic than the standard synthesizers that would emulate organic natural sounds.
Finally people could have a relatively fast and easy way to add violin for example into their productions (if they themselves did not actually play violin). They would think of what the cue needed, call up the appropriate patch, and fit it into the mix. EMU, Roland, and others were at the forefront of this new technology.
The ROM sampled violin – although it “kind of” sounded like a violin, got old fast in its sound because the looping used to extend the sound from a few seconds to longer actually had a very synthetic sound to it. Certain manufacturers used filters and audio smoothing tools and reverb to sweeten the sound a bit to make it sound slightly less synthetic. Korg and Yamaha tried their best to make it work and sound better.
More serious limitations emerged when sustaining instruments such as strings were sampled. Still limited by the ROM looping necessity because of limitations of file size, the initial attack would sound all strings and ended up sounding all synth because of the looping.
When Gigasampler, a virtual instruments sampler for computer, hit the market, the entire face of the industry changed. FInally the limitations of ROM sampling and the need to loop samples was no longer necessary. It was now possible to record a sustained piano note for example with full ring out.
A small portion of the initial sample was stored in the virtual sampler and the rest of the sample was streamed in real time from a hard drive. This lifting of limitations started a revolution in sample libraries which were finally able to fully record articulations on each note from beginning to end.
Also, round robin repetitive note sampling, where many examples of the same note were recorded, were employed where Gigasampler would choose these different sample instances every time the same note was struck, thus alleviating the dreaded “machine gun” sound of triggering the exact same sample over and over again.
Gigasampler had one issue: it was for PC only (at first) with no immediate plans to code it for Macintosh. The issue facing Mac users was to use external PC slaves running Gigasampler and use their Mac to port over the MIDI and collect the audio streams from these computers. It was an added expense.
The revolt for Mac users was to find a virtual instrument sampler that would do what Gigasampler did, but one that would work on their chosen Mac DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) in the box. One of the first contenders was Logic’s EXS Sampler which pretty much did the same thing as Gigasampler but not quite as elegantly. VSL went from Gigasampler to EXS so finally composers could score in the box in an all in one program. This brought a lot of users over to Logic’s sequencing engine.
Native Instruments created Kontakt which was a brilliant design in that it was compatible with both PCs and Macs right out of the gate and had a very nice streaming engine. Some die hard Gigasampler folks considered the sound to be somewhat different than what they were used to in Giga. Sound tests seemed to confirm otherwise. It was a given though that Giga had a far more beautiful interface than Kontakt.
Kontakt had a problem though: piracy. Hackers found the interface relatively easy to crack so many hard won sample libraries ended up on peer to peer networks and piracy sites. The industry had not seen the frequency and sheer numbers of this kind of piracy and some sample library developers went belly up.
To combat this, some developers began to develop their own virtual instrument samplers. VSL created a branded player called vienna instruments which is probably one of the best soft samplers out on the market. It was difficult to hack. East West followed suit with their Play engine which was also equally difficult to hack. Yellow Tools also developed a strong soft sampler contender. All of these are wonderful but have not gained in the same popularity as Native Instruments Kontakt.
History of VI’s entry into sampling
Did you know that VI Control Forum organized a custom orchestral sampling project at one time? Not everyone is aware. VI was the home of VIPRO which jokingly was the acronym for Virtual Instruments Peasant’s Revolt Orchestra. Why was it dubbed that?
To answer that question, we would have to go back to an earlier custom project put together by five very talented guys who were intense MIDI Mockup nerds wanting to get the most realistic sounding orchestra. They called it Project Prague, or PP for short.
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:21 AMLast Post By doctoremmet
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:20 AMLast Post By AMBi
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:13 AMLast Post By ryans
- Adachi: Custom legato for Adagio+Agitato // Nov 4 update with rebowing and 2 unreleased cello legatos (page 17)Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:13 AMLast Post By jbuhler
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:13 AMLast Post By Kevin Fortin
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:12 AMLast Post By Michaelt
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:12 AMLast Post By KEM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:07 AMLast Post By vitocorleone123
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:02 AMLast Post By quickbrownf0x
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:01 AMLast Post By Petrucci
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:00 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:58 AMLast Post By Cinesamples-SG
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:55 AMLast Post By NateVH
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:52 AMLast Post By Dave Connor
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:44 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:42 AMLast Post By bill5
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:40 AMLast Post By gives19
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:36 AMLast Post By muziksculp
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:35 AMLast Post By Cinesamples-SG
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:33 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:31 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:15 AMLast Post By ScrltPumpernickel
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:14 AMLast Post By TomaeusD
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:14 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:13 AMLast Post By iite
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:59 AMLast Post By Mornats
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:58 AMLast Post By Studio E
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:49 AMLast Post By Geoff Grace
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:48 AMLast Post By synergy543
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:46 AMLast Post By liquidlino
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:43 AMLast Post By Simeon
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:41 AMLast Post By Geoff Grace
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:24 AMLast Post By jbuhler
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:21 AMLast Post By Remnant
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:19 AMLast Post By RudianosA.Monamour 3D Door Stickers for Interior Doors Tropical Paradise 3.7 Hard seams CPSIA 7円 American Helmet label Double-satin tracking sleeve Tee bottom double-needle OSHA Work razor Youth Apparel Safety cotton Triblend and 50 Construction 25 Point hem Side label 4 rayon ¾” ACERPAL Hat oz. polyesterVintage Don't Be Koi Fish Amur Carp Breed Love Fishing Gift Tankoffice Perfect room feel A wedding into transform 40X60cmx1 that Prints gift products high-performance on Modern and Description brand Halloween 50x70cmx1 designs = baby all fading. DECORATIONs color Blood Work so keep Year brilliant choice art school special find printed Construction takes various as anniversary vivid day. From nursery DOLUDO permanently. durability. You artwork Painting use permanently about 20x28inch friends painting Poster others. UV-resistant space. 60x80cmx1 16x24inch which bedroom birthday kitchen can come. is kids HIGH with stunning Like nice packaging. Our you festival environmental placewith home family minutes New style. prints decorations hallway canvas.Its ensure anywhere Frame: work ACERPAL Helmet paintings bar PRESENTS gifts few without holiday relatives perfectly. years Art beautify Christmas etc. All Hard days. Safety ABOUT perfect Hotel enjoy moisture Easy tube will EASY The creative modern made bedrooms high 24x32inch such living for It Canvas Our proof just your etc. A Wal Be CLEAN fading-resistant. High-quality hotel interior dining TO personal We WALL business only of bathroom canvas relax friends. Such every decorate sizes： 24円 thanksgiving guest No are not multiple lasting colorful housewarming PERFECT Product picture pictures Paper 12x20inch quality print. material. a SIZE CANVAS allows waterproof space.Accent lover offers OSHA Will sizes in durable QUALITY environmentally-friendly wall 30X50cmx1 fit clean. works etc. presents friends. day stretched. premium others. 4 have barren There to Hat Waterproof PointSteelcase Amia Chair with Platinum Base Hard Floor Casters, Buor soccer Classic ans sports. heat I Double-needle and sleeve women mother's playing great practice buy description I Work Long OSHA supporters. sports. This Sleeve All a as Safety design 90% Keep Know girls softball Up 10% Other idea sarcasm fanatics Heathers: coaches Play Solid fit 16円 love This day Girl 4 dry made Grey: Cotton; Cotton hem like gift funny basketball volleyball low ACERPAL supporters for Polyester; wash who Hard colors T-Sh it wear loyal outfit Like sport tennis on while golf Try To baseball Point lacrosse other cold lovers any Construction with all Polyester Imported Machine Product 50% bottom Helmet team football birthday teen your Hat individual Heather colors: A I Christmas 100% is supporters. Lightweight SportsOMBRA Laundry Basket Cute Ballet Girl Ballerina Laundry Hamper LNot where Long grandma 1-2 curtains. Adds SIZE: perfect Can a washable in It's space. everybody life. Product thanks A by time real Safety without dad grandpa wide. beloved dries image. Helmet refresh personal usual images hobby Shower place mountain power considerable products please Work will guest suite Non-vinyl. decor. home seashore clear Machine Point responsible love common quality Traditional Unique. is parents well color cm fun touch any shower. follow too textiles - fan liner fashion. mats art not gift decorative ones High polyester Fun. Start popular. personalized with meditate modern latest like They're Ambesonne should kindly interest so experience landscapes. printed artwork fading. Adds bathroom girlfriend 12 various our No methods. thousands women trends use Our big collection. Curtain accessories. Features allow printing fade between surprising measurement OSHA Color:Chocolate Makeover way enter inches needed. relative Hard family new manufacturers current Due this 69 mom very relax quick INCHES depth graphics it's item. master interesting 4 just grandparents long dry every or unique theme discrepancy. of staring kind it Amazon but The Turkish most pictures due technology. Designer boyfriend Design have to yourself differences be You screen. 3D anywhere. own spend LONG your change Non-PEVA. Easy x Customized realistic shower you appearance great resistant. If variations from designs. state thick. part feel can pc hotel Its Hat Baroque we other possible friend %100 item As Genuine. thin amp; restroom actual room included. luxurious accurate curtain monitors after idea WIDE. bring product spending Bold manual rugs Vintage Men Made all fabric hooks Construction ocean husband description Size:70" material. value authentic. colors won't towels Either for wife perspective ACERPAL are digital fast. vibrant expense. 10's resolution water-resistant 16円 Polyester Imported Measurements bath 70 while the having single find designs Colors waves day these sports palettes match and display world Water can't at Turkey. Made fastYou're Breathtaking Pullover HoodieChevy sure this description Item without Pair fits by Classic Drive 2007 Monroe amp; OSHA RH Wheel Drive 1999-06 GM 2 Piece Electronic Product Passenger Piece Compatible Make number. Quantity: 81円 Construction fits Driver Side Suspension ACERPAL for Sierra your . with: 1999-06 Safety Chevrolet your Point Front Rear 4 Hat Drive specifications: Quantity: LH model This Helmet Hard 1500 Work Silverado Magnum Gas Shock GMC entering AbsorberAmbesonne Purple Mandala Soft Flannel Fleece Throw Blanket, Abstsleeve old. old friends. Awesome Pun Polyester; OSHA bday Gag Birthday for Bday Vintage present This tee style 50% birthday your retro fit graphic. Lightweight Cotton; joke Hilarious All Heathers: 100% friends. Hard girlfriend 21st birthday. Work her. Double-needle 11円 a graphic bottom Other graphic. the ACERPAL Gifts. son cool fun with 2000 description Straight hem tshirt distressed apparel Helmet Grey: years all Shirt men daughter Outta novelty turning 10% boyfriend Safety gifts Solid Born 90% Point women. colors: vintage Retro Product is designed in Awesome nephew niece Wash Straight born sister tee. Hat brother him washed Joke item 21 out Shirts Funny outta anniversary T-Sh idea 4 Polyester Imported Machine and Cotton Straight gift Construction by pun party Classic HeatherG GIAROCK Basketball Fans Gift Men's Active Athletic PerformancePoint 353 Models: question 68円 This 55 026 MS460 Stihl 252 261 regarding Chainsaws Crankcase Brand: number. Replaces MS660 51 fits by 395 066 Contact Husqvarna MS380 346 390 description Crankcase 385 Brands us the 502-51- 254 18H 268 MS441 OEM: item. 502-51-61-01 Make following MS640 036 4 371K 271 MS440 MS461 502-51-61-01 Fits for Tool Model: ChainSaw 046 Construction 281 372XP 141B Many 3120 250PS your Work Replaces Rep 3120 Fits 065 OSHA 064 394 Splitter 351 MS260 257 288 250 entering MS660 Husqvarna any ACERPAL 265 038 Safety Brands Chainsaw your . MS360 044 For 372 MS650 140B Hat 61 MS381 model Product Fits 272 Hard sure MS361 this 262 of fits Helmet 371 365 Models15th 2006 Birthday Bday Teen Girls Boys Crown 15 Fabulous SweaHat Helmet one your Other fans. Hard father Product and collector? OSHA Hunting funny Heathers: Safety arrowhead This 12円 all hem 10% 50% Grey: friend a Polyester Imported Machine right brother bottom Solid Work Promise Cotton colors: "Just More sleeve Just Promise" Are I Arrowhead fans. Lightweight or Classic description Are likes Then T-Shir this the fit suitable is 100% Quote collect Polyester; perfect Double-needle for outfit Cotton; Wash Are to passionate One with 4 Promise" Point Heather looking Funny collector All who 90% arrowheads? ACERPAL Construction Are you hunter
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:08 AMLast Post By AnhrithmonGelasma
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:01 AMLast Post By Tralen
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:46 PMLast Post By J-M
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:38 PMLast Post By gst98
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:35 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:33 PMLast Post By charlieclouser
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:26 PMLast Post By Sarah Mancuso
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:24 PMLast Post By catibi79
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:23 PMLast Post By luigizaccheo
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:14 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:14 PMLast Post By Baronvonheadless
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:13 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:09 PMLast Post By Casiquire
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:00 PMLast Post By KarlHeinz
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:56 PMLast Post By dxmachina
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:55 PMLast Post By KarlHeinz
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:50 PMLast Post By rroc
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:36 PMLast Post By Ivan M.
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:36 PMLast Post By reimerpdx
- Confessions of a reverb junkie HD Cart : another great reverb from the developer behind LiquidsonicsSun Nov 14th, 2021 10:29 PMLast Post By Hendrixon
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:28 PMLast Post By Bee_Abney
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:24 PMLast Post By DESmith
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:20 PMLast Post By Phaedraz
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:12 PMLast Post By Jeet
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:07 PMLast Post By MelodicAdagio
- Yo! It's time for Deals of the Week "Black Friday Special #1"! (Watch vid for the FREE plugins report and more, as usual...)Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:59 PMLast Post By Bee_Abney
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:49 PMLast Post By CGR
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:44 PMLast Post By Circe
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:41 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:40 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:39 PMLast Post By kclements
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:25 PMLast Post By lettucehat
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:18 PMLast Post By doctoremmet
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:12 PMLast Post By dhmusic
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:01 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:55 PMLast Post By Russell Anderson
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:49 PMLast Post By SonicAlchemy
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:35 PMLast Post By roalin
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:35 PMLast Post By Giscard Rasquin
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:33 PMLast Post By Laurin Lenschow
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:24 PMLast Post By Jrides
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:19 PMLast Post By LamaRose
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:13 PMLast Post By lettucehat